Sunday, November 14, 2010

Baked Stuffed French Toast


I got up a little early this morning, for a Sunday.  Iris was also awake.  So the two of us headed down stairs, made some coffee, and played for a little while.  I was hankering for something yummy for breakfast so I started looking up baked french toast recipes.  Most required that the mixture be made the night before, but I finally found one that I modified a bit to fit the ingredients I had in my home.  It turned out great so I thought I would share it.

Ingredients:
8 slices bread of your choice (I used light wheat - it was what I had on hand)
8 oz of Cream Cheese (I used Neufchatel)
1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit of your choice (We had frozen mixed berries)
6 eggs
1 cup of milk (I used 2 percent)
Ground Cinnamon
Confectionary Sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cube all slices of bread
Layer 1/2 of the bread cubes in the bottom of a baking dish
Cube cream cheese and layer on top of bread cubes
Layer fruit over the cream cheese
Top with the remaining cubes of bread

In a separate bowl, beat the 6 eggs and 1 cup of milk together, pour evenly over the bread layers.
Top with ground cinamon to taste.

Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the egg mixture is completely baked into the bread and the top has begun to brown.

Sprinkle with confectionary sugar and serve with maple syrup!

This dish is easy to assemble and is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment