Sunday, February 21, 2010

Starting to Get the Hang of This

So being the mom of a three year old is pretty hard work. Add twin newborns to that and you have the equivalent of three full time jobs! But I am starting to get the hang of this. This past week, I have started to see some patterns develop and some routines begin to be established. This is very encouraging.

We have actually taken the whole family on two trips now, both about 1.5 - 2 hours from our house. Our first trip was to Etna to visit with my parents, sister, brother, and all of the cousins. It was a fun trip, but a mad house. Esme and Iris are grandchildren seven and eight. Four boys, four girls, the oldest being my niece Kaylee, age 5. It is so much fun to watch all of the older kids play together. Our second trip was yesterday to Candia, NH, to Jesse's parents house. Another success. The girls did great in the car and Eli sang us songs all the way down.


We have, of course, become a minivan family. There are very few vehicles out there that will fit three car seats. I never saw myself in a minivan, but I must tell you, I LOVE it! Nothing fancy, an old Dodge Caravan, but it has so much room. We have always driven small compact cars, so the minivan feels like traveling in first class.

Eli is really adjusting well to the additions to our family. He really seems to love his sisters, or at least the idea of them. Most of the time, he doesn't seem to notice them. But when he talks about them or asks about them, he lights right up. His eyes get wide and a smile comes across his face. He has only once asked for them to go back to the hospital, and, I think that was because he actually misses trips to the hospital. I guess Maine Med is a pretty exciting place to visit when you are three. Especially when dad lets you push all of the buttons in the elevator!

There have definitely been some bumps and unexpected curves in the road but we are definitely starting to function as a family again. This has been a long time in coming, given the length of separation we had during the pregnancy. It is so wonderful to wake up every morning and find myself surrounded by my husband and children. I feel so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment